Total Pageviews

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Food For Tots - Recipes for toddlers

Lemongrass chicken

Lemongrass (香茅) is a popular herb used in many Asian cooking, especially for Thai, Vietnamese, Malaysian and Indonesian cuisines. It has a refreshing citrus flavour with a hint of ginger. It blends very well with garlic, chillies and cilantro, hence is widely used in making soup, curries, marinade and stir-fry dishes. It is also used to flavour tea, drinks, baked goods, desserts and pastries. Essential oil extracted from lemongrass is an excellent natural mosquito repellent. The oil is also used for making other non-food related products like candles, perfumes, soap, insecticide, disinfectant,..

Sweet and sour tofu
Tofu or bean curd, sometimes called the “The Cheese of Asia”, is a highly nutritious, protein-rich and delicious food. Its high quality protein content makes a good substitute for meat in many vegetarian...

Homemade applesauce

undefined
Apples are traditional remedies for diarrhea. But do you know that raw grated apples are used to treat constipation whereas stewed apples for diarrhea? No, not me. I was totally ignorance about this...

Pasta with minced meat and dried oysters

It’s almost three weeks since my last posting. We went back to my hubby’s hometown to celebrate this Lunar New Year and reunite with our family members and relatives, catch up with old friends and...

Almond butter cookies

I must confess that I got hooked on baking cookies recently. After making sesame crisps and cornflake cookies , I can’t stop thinking of what to bake next. On the other hand, time is running short...

Cornflake cookies

Chinese New Year is approaching and it’s time to bake some festive cookies to share with your loved ones. Last year, I made my favourite pineapple rolls which may be considered tedious and time consuming...

Sesame crisps

Sesame seeds are not only rich in magnesium and copper but also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc and dietary fiber. Besides that, they also contain lignans, including...

Cheese breadsticks (tangzhong/ water roux method)

  Hello 2011! Hello everyone! What’s your New Year resolution? One of mine is to make more bread using tangzhong / water roux method (汤种法). It’s a bread making method that I never know its...

Honey balsamic chicken drumsticks

The Christmas spirit is in the air! Can you feel it? I certainly do. I always enjoy the joyful atmosphere of Christmas even though I don’t celebrate the occasion. Seeing Christmas decorations,...

Gingerbread man cookies

“All I want for Christmas is my gingerbread man cookies!!” That’s my son’s wish for each Christmas. In the past, I would buy it from the bakery shop to save the hassle. But this year, I decided...

Thin-crust pizza

My family loves homemade pizza for several reasons. One of them is that I can easily cater to all kind of requests such as: “More cheeses, please? Wait, why not have a mixture of Mozallera, Parmesan...

How to make superfast congee

Congee or porridge (粥) is not only a staple food among the Chinese community but also one of the first few baby foods recommended for weaning. It is a versatile dish which can be easily prepared and...

Japanese egg salad sandwiches

Whether you are looking for a simple breakfast, a grab-n-go lunch or a light dinner, sandwich is a quick and easy solution. However, not all sandwiches are equally nutritious. Some are healthy but unappealing...

Coconut butter cookies

Have you ever heard or tried Danish butter cookies before? During my childhood days, they are regarded as the most premium cookies (at least to me) as not all households could afford this luxury...

Blueberry orange muffins

“Didn’t you post a blueberry muffin recipe before?” asked my hubby when he saw me editing the photos for this post. I replied “They are not the same, my dear. Both use different ingredients...

Fine French beans with sesame dressing

Sesame seeds are my favourite kitchen condiment, be it white or black. I love to use them in both my cooking and baking for their flavourful aroma. Besides, their tiny size and contrasting colours...

Apple flapjacks

Oat is among the most nutritious grain that one can introduce to a child’s diet. As it’s easily digestable, it’s good to get your child to start enjoying oats at an early age. What’s...

Chicken and corn patties

The ease to manage and chew makes patties a kids-friendly food. That’s why most kids find food appealing when presented in the form of patties. Patties are suitable to be served as a light meal,...

Honey roasted almonds

Although toddlers eat smaller portion than adults do, they definitely need more energy and nutrient to support their rapid growth. From this aspect, snacks can play a significant role in fortifying their...

Cauliflower cheese

My flat is a bit of mess now as it is the midst of a 10-days upgrading work to the toilets that is largely government-sponsored. For the entire period, both kitchen and toilets are off limit. So, no...
 
 

Cherry yogurt popsicles

If you had been blog-hopping, you would have discovered many posts on popsicles during this summer season. Everyone has his/ her most favourite method of making popsicles to share. I can’t tell you...

Banana walnut cake

undefined
If you have been following my blog, you will notice that I have not used nuts in all my previous baking and cooking posts, with the exception of “how to roast cashew nuts”. The reason...

Oven baked fries

  Thanks to everyone for your heartfelt sweet words and kind concerns about my troubling right elbow. I promise more yummy posts to reward you after my full recovery. But meanwhile, I shouldn’t keep you...

Nagaimo and shrimp paste

Recently, after hurting my right elbow, I was “forced” to cut down lots of my personal activities (blogging, baking and photo-shooting), except for cooking and routine housework. Felt like being...

Konnyaku jelly

Have you heard of Konnyaku? Konnyaku (蒟蒻) is also known as “konjac, konjaku, devil’s tongue, voodoo lily, snake palm, or elephant yam”. (Can anyone tell why so many eerie nicknames? ). It...

Orange pilaf

Beside apples, oranges are the most common imported fruit that my mom usually used to buy for the family when I was a child. But, I disliked oranges then, as more often than not they weren’t sweet...

Osmanthus poached pears

My son loves a variety of fruits, be it sweet or slightly sour. Does that mean he is not picky about fruits? Not really. In fact, he can be outright picky. He clearly likes some (a lot) and dislikes...

Cauliflower paratha

My son was playfully nicknamed “Chapati” (Chapathi) by my Indian friend, Mrs R because of his chubby face. Hearing her constantly calling out for my son’s “nickname” has led me...

Baked eggplants with bolognese sauce

Ever tried cooking a particular vegetable that your kid showed little or no interest in eating? If you did, would you give up after a few attempts? Then I urge you not to be discouraged as there is always...

Green radish and carrot soup

Unlike adults, when babies and toddlers develop phlegm, it usually takes longer for them to clear it. One reason is they do not know how to split out the phlegm. Even my 5 year old son is still unable...

How to line a cake tin

Recently, a close friend of mine asked me how I line a cake tin. As the saying goes, a picture is worth a million words. That gave me the idea of doing this tutorial post to share it with more people...

Strawberry crunch

How many of you would think that good nutrition starts with a good nutritious breakfast? Definitely not me when I was staying on my own. I didn’t really put much effort to make sure I have a good breakfast....

Basic butter cake

Butter cake is the first cake I learnt to bake during my high school years. It was also the easiest and fastest cake to bake that I know of at that time. I still remember that I would wait till my...

Lentil and vegetable curry

I discovered moong dal (mung bean, 绿豆) through my Indian friend who introduced me to Indian cuisine some time ago. The husk of moong dal is green in colour, but the bean itself is yellow after de-husking.  It...

Chicken pie with cheesy mash topping

Lately I have tried out many recipes from Annabel KarmelN1 Family Cookbook magazines (spring and summer editions) in my cooking. I love its wide selection of kid-friendly recipes which are both simple...

Oaty fruit crumble

My hubby and I share one common interest. We both love food, especially dessert. Both of us get very excited when it comes to chatting about dessert. We used to be die-hard fans for desserts before our...

Hot cross buns – A date with Chef Sam

Yes, it was a date with Chef Sam, the young, handsome and talented food technologist baker. Rain or shine I must turn up, that’s what I told myself. It was an important and special date for me....

Italian pesto bread

Pesto sauce (basil pesto) is a paste made by blending together fresh basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese and salt. This sauce is ready for use without the need for...

Onigiri (rice ball) with salmon and cucumber

My son doesn’t like rice so much. What upsets me is that he always quick to finish eating his dishes but takes his time to labour over his rice even though I only gave him six to seven spoonfuls. ...

Fish spinach patties

My guest and I got acquainted through a parenting forum 4 years ago. Like me, she also has a son of the same age. We share many common interests and chat online almost everyday with our never-ending...

Beetroot soup

  Over the past two months, Singapore and Malaysia are hit by dry spell with no sign of abating anytime soon. Although it’s usually hot this time of the year, but it’s particularly bad this...

Banana muffins

Quite often I heard from some mommies that they always run out of ideas when it comes to preparing teatime snacks for their preschoolers. I consider myself lucky as my son’s kindergarten provides teatime...

Gong Xi Fa Cai & Happy Valentine 2010!

Tomorrow marks the much-awaited double celebrations – the first day of Lunar New Year and Valentine Day! My family is back in Kuala Lumpur to celebrate the New Year with family and friends. So...

Teriyaki salmon in a parcel

  You probably heard a lot about Omega-3, the polyunsaturated fat that is essential in life. It protects against heart disease, promotes healthy skin and joints and is essential for proper neurological...

Homemade pineapple rolls (pineapple tarts)

Come every Lunar New Year, you will find pineapple rolls/tarts being sold like hot cakes here in Singapore and Malaysia. It ranks top in the list of popular baked pastries among Malaysian and Singaporean...

Caramel popcorn

Popcorn is high on fiber, low on calories, but also packed with energy. Compared to sugar-filled candy or chocolate bars, popcorn is still a better (if not the best) choice for snack. If prepare correctly...

Shiitake mushrooms stir-fry

I have a few must-have ingredients in my weekly grocery shopping list. They are mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs and tofu. Given that they are highly versatile and can be cooked in a variety of ways, I...

Cheesy cookies

“LEARN, TOUCH and TASTE” are the three key steps I strongly recommend parents to follow if they want to get their kids to love food. Of the three, “TOUCH” is considered the most challenging....

Fried eggs in tomato sauce

Time flies. Tomorrow we bid farewell to Year 2009 and welcome Year 2010. Someone casually asked my opinion about the 2012 doomsday prediction. Well, my answer is whether it will come true or not, life...

My petunia photo on Ivy’s Kitchen’s signage

I will be going back to Singapore tomorrow after 2 weeks holidaying in my hometown Penang. It has been a fantastic break for me. No cooking or houseworks. Best of all is to have many “part-time”...

Cranberry scones

undefined
I have been making scones quite often as they are extremely easy to make. Without having to bring out the electrical beater, I can easily whip up a batch of warm scones in no time for breakfast, brunch...

Simple avocado drink

  Avocado (also known as butter pear or alligator pear 鳄梨/) is rich in the antioxidants beta carotene, vitamins C and E, magnesium, potassium and monounsaturated fat which can boost...

Chicken with hoisin sauce

  My daily schedule always goes haywire during my son’s school holidays. It’s no exception for this long year-end holiday. As expected, I hardly can find time to do my photo-shooting and blogging. ...

Lemon cheesecake (non-baked)

“Do you know you can make a cheesecake without having to bake one? And, you don’t need to use an electrical mixer too!” said J. “What? No oven? No electrical mixer? Are you sure?” said F4T. This...

How to roast cashew nuts

I love eating all kinds of tree nuts. Once I start munching them, I can never put a stop to it. Yes, I can go nuts on nuts! So too is my hubby. We are “NUTTY” people! During festive seasons, we see...

Okra with tomato sauce

I brought my laptop with me during my recent holiday break in KL hoping to “squeeze” in some time to update my food blog. In the end, I decided to give my laptop a holiday break too. LOL! Now that...

Stir-fry udon with prawns

My first experience in tasting stir-fry udon was at a Chinese restaurant many years ago. After trying it out, I got hooked on udon, especially this stir-fry version even until now. But I never expect...

Triple chocolate brownies – a gift from someone special

Early one morning, FEDEX delivered a parcel to my doorsteps. It was a box of triple chocolate brownies from someone special in London. They looked so delicious and inviting! Who can resist this sinful...

Chrysanthemum and wolfberry tea

Ever since I started my food blog one and half year ago, I have been starring at the computer more often and for longer duration too. As a consequence, both my short-sighted and astigmatism have deteriorated....

Healthy multi-grain bread

Recently I bought a KitchenAid stand mixer which entitled me to enroll for 2 free baking classes provided by Mayer. During my 1st baking class, I learnt how to make healthy multigrain bread and green...
 
 
 
 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment